Monday, August 17, 2009

Fresh Start

That's what this point in my life feels like. On the cusp of beginning a new stage of life. My life thus far has been made up of stories that begin: "I always wanted to _____, but..." I'm tired of it.

I want to live a life of adventure. I never felt that I could but I've come to the realization that the only thing limiting me is myself. The master of my destiny, so to speak.

I have spent my life setting goals, vague plans of how to get there and doing so, for the most part. I have sold myself short. I have a blessed and full life. Now I realize that I can have this and so much more. I have goals now, but I have a plan.

I'm in the process of figuring out how to get to where I want to be. I am currently limited by:

1) Two young daughters. Hard to travel, to basically do anything other than cook, clean and raise two spirited, intelligent, energetic children to successful, fulfilled adults. The question weighing heavily on my mind these days is do we want the 3rd child that we always knew we'd have? Or are we fulfilled enough with my girls that I can give that up to fulfill other dreams?

2) Finances. My husband needs to be retrained so that he can have a career that pays more, both financially and in job satisfaction. Also, we live tight but where else can we cut back? This involves an emotional decision based on living where we live or buying our in law's house. I will elaborate later, this deserves it's own post. Long story short, yes, we will be buying my in law's house when they are ready to sell it.

3) We also need to live for today. I do not want to bust my ass for the dream retirement only to die suddenly 6 months before joining the love of my life in retirement. That is the story of my best friend's mother. I want to enjoy my dreams throughout my life. A life of adventure, not a life that ended with adventure.

4) We need to be in physical shape to accomplish the dream trip at retirement. We are both computer chair people so we need to step up. I want to be healthy and fit, not trapped by a body I didn't do the upkeep on.

On July 15th I started the Couch to 5 K program. I'm doing a modified version of it now in order to run my first 5K on September 13th, the day before my 32nd birthday. I ran for a summer when I was 23. I loved it and always wanted to run a 5K. I want to say I ran a 5K. Several in fact.

This journal is to document my life of adventure, and the trials and triumphs along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment